Why in news?
Maharashtra became the first state in the police investigation to implement the AMBIS.
What is AMBIS?
- An AMBIS device includes a computer device, camera and iris, fingerprint and palm scanner.
- It is a facial recognition technology application.
- This contains also a handheld device for scraping residue and collecting fingerprints from scenes of crime.
- AMBIS (with CCTV facial recognition) enables the police to cross criminals whose fingerprints, apart from the fresh crimes, have been captured on paper over the decades.
- AMBIS is an up-to-date variant of the AFIS, which Indian law enforcement agencies have been able to use for quest for fingerprints and palm prints.
- AFIS has minimal utility and offers one-to – one fingerprint matches only in contrast to AMBIS multimodal matches.