Source: Press Information Bureau
The Government launched the Ambedkar Hastshilp Vikas Yojana (AHVY) in the year 2001-2002 with a view to mobilize the artisans into Self Help Groups thrift and credit, training of Self Help Groups on various aspects of forming and running the community business enterprises for self-sustainability of artisans.
The objective of the Ambedkar Hastshilp Vikas Yojana(AHVY) are as follows:
- Promoting premium handicrafts stocks for the niche market.
- Expansion of production base for utility-based, lifestyle and mass production handicrafts products.
- Preservation and protection of heritage/ languishing crafts.
- Base Line Survey & Mobilization of Artisans
- Design & Technology Upgradation
- Human Resource Development
- Direct Benefit to Artisans
- Infrastructure and Technology Support
- Research and Development
- Marketing Support & Services
Various steps taken by the Government of India
- Campaign: During this current financial year (2019-20), the Government has taken initiative to organize campaign to educate cluster artisans about the scope of producer company, its importance for long term sustainable business development for the cluster and motivate prospective artisans/Self Help Groups members to form producer companies in various cluster areas across the country.
- Identification of Clusters:The Government has identified and adopted 90 clusters across the country which will also cover aspirational districts, women clusters, weaker section and export potential clusters. The objective is to transform these clusters in a time period of 3 years by ensuring self-sustainment of the Self Help Groups/artisans of these clusters.
- Hastkala Sahyog Shivirs:In addition to the above, the Government organized Hastkala Sahyog Shivirs at more than 300 places all over the country for providing Aadhaar linked Pahchan card, marketing facilities, facilitating to artisans through Mudra loan and enrolment of artisans under Pradhan Mantri Jeeven Jyoti Bima Yojana, Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana and Aam Aadmi Bima Yojana for the welfare of artisans during the Hastkala Sahyog Shivirs