In news- Amazon recently announced a “home robot” named Astro.
About the Astro robot-
- The robot has cartoony-eyes on a tablet-like touchscreen and comes equipped with a periscope camera and microphone.
- It weighs about 20 pounds and is two feet tall, essentially a robot dog on wheels.
- The robot is designed to move around the home and keep a check on pets, and detect something unusual in the absence of the owner.
- It is basically a combination of the Echo Show and sophisticated Ring security camera integrated into one single device.
- The device captures live videos, recognises faces, plays music or videos, and delivers things across the home.
However, the privacy concern is that the amount of data Amazon gets to fetch with the Astro, gives the company easy access to the household, going one step beyond Alexa.
Other such robots-
- Softbank had “suspended” the production of Pepper, one of the first humanoid robots able to “read” emotions.
- Jibo started an Indiegogo project, pitched as “the world’s first social robot for the home,” but the idea never caught on.