In news: Recently, DRDO has developed an Advanced Chaff Technology to safeguard the naval ships against enemy missile attack.
Advanced Chaff technology
- Three varieties: To meet meeting Indian Navy’s qualitative requirements, Defence Laboratory Jodhpur (DLJ), a DRDO laboratory, has indigenously developed three variants of this critical technology namely
- Short Range Chaff Rocket (SRCR)
- Medium Range Chaff Rocket (MRCR) and
- Long Range Chaff Rocket (LRCR)
- Recently, Indian Navy conducted trials of all three variants in the Arabian Sea on Indian Naval Ship and found the performance satisfactory.
- The technology is being given to the industry for production in large quantities
What is Chaff technology?
- Chaff is a passive expendable electronic countermeasure technology used worldwide to protect naval ships from enemy’s radar and Radio Frequency (RF) missile seekers.
- Chaff is a radiofrequency countermeasure released by military aircraft, ships, and vehicles to confuse enemy radar.
- Chaff consists of aluminum-coated glass fibers ranging in lengths from 0.8 to 0.75 cm and is released in packets of 0.5 to 100 million fibers.
- The very less quantity of chaff material deployed in the air acts as a decoy to deflect enemy’s missiles for the safety of the ships.