More than thousand stations to be modernized under Adarsh Station Scheme in the financial year 2021-22.
About Adarsh Station Scheme
- The Scheme was started in 2009-10.
- This scheme mainly aims to upgrade the suburban stations of India to Adarsh stations.
- The expenditure on development of stations under Adarsh Station Scheme is generally funded under Plan Head –53 ‘Passenger Amenities’.
- Adarsh Stations are provided with basic facilities such as drinking water, adequate toilets, catering services, waiting rooms and dormitories especially for lady passengers, better signage etc.
Thrust areas for improvement of stations selected as Adarsh Stations:
Stations falling under ‘A-1’, ‘A’ & ‘B’ category would be provided facilities as applicable for Modern Stations which are as under:
- Improvement in the façade of the station building.
- Improvement in the circulating area so as to ensure proper entry and exit of vehicles etc.
- A lighting tower at an appropriate place to be installed for proper illumination.
- Improved modern, cost effective lighting arrangements at the platforms, concourse etc.
- Renovated water booths.
- Renovated, modern, Pay & Use toilets.
- Good Waiting and Retiring Rooms with modern furniture.
- Good passenger guidance system including signages and coach indication boards.
- Improvement to the passenger service.
- Improvement of booking and enquiry offices to give them a facelift.
- Lighting of booking office, the queuing area in front of booking windows.
- Engagement of reputed architects/consultants for beautification.
As regards ‘C’ category stations which is the majority category selected as Adarsh station, area of the focus would be as under:
- Ethnic-ethos – local art/architecture to be reflected in a distinctive and colourful manner.
- Focus on quick entry and exit for passengers (minimum two entry and two exit points).
- Railway road i.e. access from civil road to station premises to be smooth with no unauthorized fetters on this road.
- Provision of signage i.e. location of ladies/handicapped coach.
- Toilets: minimum 4 urinals of which 2 should be toilets at the platform. These will be renovated / made by Railways but operated on ‘Pay and Use’ basis.
- Provision of full shelters on the platforms for better protection from elements.
- Provision of Booking Office on both sides, as required.
- Provision of wide FOBs, as required.
- Improving the stairs quality.
- Provision of adequate drinking water arrangements at suitable points ensuring no hindrance to free flow of passengers.
- Provision of adequate lighting.
- Focus on maintenance of assets.
- Conservancy contracts for cleaning.
Stations falling under ‘D’, ‘E’ & ‘F’ category would be provided with ‘Desirable Amenities’ as applicable for Model Stations.