Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) he , Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment has conceptualised the ‘Accessible India Campaign (Sugamaya Bharat Abhiyan)’ as a nation wide flagship campaign for achieving universal accessibility that will enable persons with disabilities to gain access for equal opportunity and live independently and participate fully in all aspects of life in an inclusive society. The campaign targets at enhancing the accessibility of the built environment, transport system and Information & communication ecosystem.
- At least 50% of all the government buildings of the national capital and all the state capitals will be made fully accessible for persons with disabilities.
- Conducting audit of 50% of government buildings and converting them into fully accessible buildings in 10 most important cities/ towns of all the states.
- All the international airports in the country and railway stations of A1, A & B categories will be made fully accessible.
- Conducting accessibility audit of all the domestic airports and converting them into fully accessible airports.
- Ensuring that 50% of railway stations in the country are converted into fully accessible railway stations.
- Ensuring that 25% of Government owned public transport carriers in the country are converted into fully accessible carriers.
- Ensuring that at least 50% of all public documents issued by the Central government and the State governments meet accessibility standards.
- Developing and adoption of national standards on captioning and sign-language interpretation in consultation with national media authorities.
Definition of Disability
According to Person with Disabilities (Equal opportunities, protection of rights and full participation) Act, 1995, disability means:
. Low vision
. Hearing impairment
. Locomotor disability
. Mental Retardation
. Mental illness