Recently, 8th meeting of the Science, Technology and Innovation(STI) Ministers of the BRICS grouping held virtually
Key highlights of the meeting
- The meeting was organized by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of Russia, Russian Federation being the Chair for the 12th BRICS Summit.
- The BRICS STI Declaration 2020 was unanimously adopted at the meeting.
- During the meeting, BRICS Members applauded India’s scheme ‘SERB–POWER’ (Promoting Opportunities For Women in Exploratory Research) to encourage and support emerging as well as eminent women researchers to undertake R&D activities in frontier areas of science and engineering.
A brief note on BRICS
- BRICS is the acronym coined for an association of five major emerging national economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa(Joined In 2010).
- The grouping has held annual summits since 2009, with member countries taking turns to host. Prior to South Africa’s admission, two BRIC summits were held, in 2009 and 2010.
- Bilateral relations among BRICS nations are conducted mainly based on non-interference, equality, and mutual benefit
- The 12th BRICS Summit will be held virtually on Nov 17, 2020
- The BRICS members are known for their significant influence on regional affairs; all are members of G20.
- The 11th summit of the BRICS was held on 13–14 November 2019.