Recently, the 5th India Water Impact Summit (IWIS) was held from 10th December to 15th December 2020
About the 5th India Water Impact Summit (IWIS)
- It was organized by the National Mission for Clean Ganga and Center for Ganga River Basin Management and Studies (cGanga)
- Theme of the summit: Comprehensive analysis and holistic management of local rivers and water bodies with focus on Arth Ganga – river conservation synchronized development.
- This summit is aimed at discussing and disseminating the needs for the modalities of embracing Arth Ganga
- The summit brought together various stakeholders to discuss, debate and develop model solutions to some of the biggest water related issues in the country.
About National Mission for Clean Ganga(NMCG)
- It was established in 2011 as a society registered under the Societies Registration Act 1860.
- It acted as implementation arm of National Ganga River Basin Authority(NGRBA) which was constituted under the provisions of the Environment (Protection) Act (EPA),1986.
- NGRBA has since been dissolved with effect from the 7th October 2016, consequent to constitution of National Council for Rejuvenation, Protection and Management of River Ganga (referred as National Ganga Council).
- National Mission for Clean Ganga, endeavors to deploy the best available knowledge and resources across the world for Ganga rejuvenation.
- Clean Ganga has been a perennial attraction for many international countries that have expertise in river rejuvenation.
- The aims and objectives of NMCG is to accomplish the mandate of National Ganga River Basin Authority (NGRBA) of
- To ensure effective abatement of pollution and rejuvenation of the river Ganga by adopting a river basin approach to promote inter-sectoral co-ordination for comprehensive planning and management and
- To maintain minimum ecological flows in the river Ganga with the aim of ensuring water quality and environmentally sustainable development.
The Centre for Ganga River Basin Management and Studies (cGanga)
- cGanga was established at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (IITK) in 2016.
- The Centre is a Centre of Excellence for data collection, the creation and dissemination of knowledge and information for the sustainable development of Ganga River Basin.
- It acts in the capacity of a comprehensive think-tank to the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation (MoWR, RD & GR), Government of India.