In news–The Union Minister of Jal Shakti announced 3rd National Water Awards-2020, recently.
About National Water Awards (NWA)2020-
- These awards were instituted to recognize and encourage exemplary work and efforts made by States, Districts, individuals, organizations, etc across the country in attaining the government’s vision of a ‘Jal Samridh Bharat’.
- The first National Water Award was launched by the Jal Shakti Ministry in 2018.
- It strives to create awareness among the people about the importance of water and attempts to motivate them to adopt best water usage practices.
- National Water Awards are given in 11 categories which are as follows –
- Best State.
- Best District (2 Awards each in five zones; total 10 Awards).
- Best Village Panchayat (3 Awards each in five zones; total 15 Awards).
- Best Urban Local Body.
- Best Media (Print and Electronic).
- Best School.
- Best Institution / Resident Welfare Association (RWA) / Religious organisations for successful campus water usage.
- Best Industry for industrial water conservation.
- Best NGO.
- Best Water User Association.
- Best Industry for CSR Activities.
- Awards in the category of Best District and Best Village Panchayats will be given separately for North, South, East, West and North-East.
- In the Best State category, Uttar Pradesh has been awarded first prize, followed by Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu in NWA 2020.
- India’s current water requirement is estimated to be around 1,100 billion cubic meters per year, projected to go up to 1,447 billion cubic meters by 2050.
- While India has more than 18% of the world’s population, it has only 4% of the world’s renewable water resources.