promote multilingualism and national unity. he NEP 2020 brings with it a novel concept of early implementation of the three-language formula, with the view to As per the new education policy, it is up to the state to decide which is the language of their choice.
More About 3 Language Formula
- The NEP, 2020 has emphasized on the use of mother tongue or local language as the medium of instruction till Class 5 while, recommending its continuance till Class 8 and beyond.
- It recommends that all students will learn three languages in their school under the formula. The three languages learned by children will be the choices of States, regions, and of course the students themselves. However, at least two of the three languages should be native to India, one of which is most likely to be the local/ regional language.
- The rule will apply to both private and public schools.
- High-quality textbooks, including in science, will be made available in home languages
- In cases where home-language textbook material is not available, the language of the transaction between teachers and students will still remain the home language wherever possible.
- Teachers will be encouraged to use a bilingual approach, including bilingual teaching-learning materials, with those students whose home language may be different from the medium of instruction.
- The original draft of the NEP made teaching Hindi to all school students compulsory but that clause was removed in the final document.