External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar represents India at the 15th East Asia Summit (EAS) recently
Key highlights of the summit
- The virtual summit meeting will be chaired by the Prime Minister of Vietnam, Nguyen Xuan Phuc, and see participation from all the 18 EAS countries —10 ASEAN countries and Australia, China, India, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, Russia and the United States.
- During the summit, the members will discuss ways and means to strengthen the EAS platform and to make it more responsive to emerging challenges on its 15th anniversary
- Members will also exchange views on issues of international and regional interest, including the pandemic and cooperation among EAS participating countries to achieve an expeditious and sustainable economic recovery
About East Asia Summit(EAS)
- It is a premier leaders-led forum for discussions on important strategic issues in the Indo-Pacific, and a leading confidence-building mechanism in the region.
- It is the only leader-led forum at which all key partners meet to discuss political, security and economic challenges facing the Indo-Pacific, and has an important role to play in advancing closer regional cooperation
- It has 18 members
- The EAS calendar culminates in the annual Leaders’ Summit, which is usually held alongside ASEAN Leaders’ meetings in the fourth quarter of every year
- EAS members represent 54 per cent of the world’s population and account for 58 per cent of global GDP worth an estimated US$49.6 trillion