- Union Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat launched a 100-day campaign under the Jal Jeevan Mission on151st birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
100 days campaign of JJM
- The 100 days campaign aims to provide piped water supply in Anganwadi Centres, Ashramshalas (tribal residential hostels for children) and schools essentially highlights water, sanitation and hygiene issues and its interplay with children’s well-being and their long-term development.
- Goa has earned itself the unique distinction of becoming the first ‘Har Ghar Jal’ State in the country as it successfully provides 100 per cent Functional Household Tap Connections (FHTCs) in the rural areas covering 2.30 lakh rural households, read the statement.
- One of the objectives of the campaign is to plan and achieve overall water security in all anganwadi centres, ashram shalas and schools for purposes of drinking, cooking mid-day meals, handwashing and toilet use.
- The other aims of the scheme is to discuss and bring awareness among rural community, anganwadi workers, school teachers, school management committees, etc about the importance of Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) and assured availability of safe water to children for their overall development.
- Another objective is to make arrangements for rainwater harvesting for source sustainability; and to make water ‘everyone’s business’ by forging effective partnerships with all stakeholders.
- Key components of the campaign is provision of water quality monitoring at delivery points within institutional premises; strengthening and developing a system for water quality testing in higher secondary schools having chemistry labs and water quality surveillance in anganwadi centres, ashram shalas, and schools.
- Planning is important as this is an action and specific output-oriented time-bound 100 day campaign.
Jal Jeevan Mission
- Under Jal Jeevan Mission for ensuring safe water through tap water connection in schools, anganwadi centres, health care centres, etc.
- National Jal Jeevan Mission has reached out to States/ UTs to ensure that during this campaign, Gram Sabhas are convened at the earliest to pass a resolution for providing safe water in all schools, anganwadi centres and other public institutions in the village in the next 100 days.
- These facilities will be operated and maintained by the Gram Panchayat and/ or its sub-committee i.e. Village Water & Sanitation Committee or Paani Samiti.
- Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) aims at the universal coverage of provision of tap water connection to every rural home by 2024.
- Under the mission, special focus is on women and children.